Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Awesome is only stilted by distance

So here I am, writing in this rather pathetic excuse of a blog. I have never been one to convey what I want through words. I suppose that is one reason i have taken to YouTube like I have.

Which brings me to why I am writing this now. YouTube.

YouTube has really provided a community of people that are so diverse and interesting. In this community I have found people that I consider some of the best friends I have ever had.

Many might scoff at this statement. I can't tell you how many time people have given me odd looks when I say that i have friends I met online.

I had a pretty lonely/down day yesterday. I went to sushi with two aerospace girlfriends of mine. We talked and caught up then I went home. It was in that short lunch that I just realized how shallow all of my friendships at college seem to be. How people I met online are more real to me than those I see almost everyday. This really is a hard thing to convey to people who haven't had the experiences like I have. The people i have met through Youtube know me. they love me. They accept me for all of my flaws. The relationships made online are given a bad wrap in my opinion. Many still have the mindset that every person you meet online is a rapest or a sex offender. People are layered differently than that. Of course there are creepers online, I have run into one or two myself, but honestly the so many amazing and interesting people I have met totally outweighs the creepers.

My Classy Ladies are a group of my youtube friends. The majority of the Classy Ladies are from Vlogtag. Most of them I have known almost three years. knowing people that long really does strengthen your bonds with people. So does the distance. I will stand by the statement "Awesome is only stilted by distance" because it's true.

Last year I went to the Northwest Youtube Gathering, where I got to meet a lot of my online friends IRL for the first time. I was so nervous about not clicking with them like i did online. That it would be awkward and just uncomfortable. It was so far from that. I wish I could truly say how amazing it was. Being with this group of people who i spent all nighters with. Who I cried with. Who were so very much apart of my life regardless of the distance. It truly was like coming home to your best friends.

Just two weeks ago, was VidCon. It was a second meetup for all of us. it was slightly different from the NWYTG. We knew we worked so very well together. It felt like i had literally just hung out with them a week before.

So last night was a pretty bad night for me. I just felt so lonely and hopeless because I couldnt call up the group of my best friends to go have a pizza with me. These people who i met through a screen. In a Virtual world. Have become more physical to me than those I have met in the physical world.

I know it all sounds probably crazy, but I thought about it a lot last night. I am so lucky to have such an amazing group of friends. I wish that they were always in my life, but the bottom line, they cant. That is something I keep trying to be okay with. I dont know if I ever will be. I will always wish that I could see them more, but I will always beable to have them in my life. That is how our friendship started anyway. Logging on and a single "bloop".

I miss you guys so very much. I am so happy to have you in my life, virtual or physical. I am so happy that our friendship goes beyond majors, grades, talents, etc, etc. I am surrounded by people who I do call friends but i know that the are all based off of gaining something or being something. It is so draining. I HATE IT. I am glad to know what true friendships are. And I am glad that you are apart of it.

So many hearts, hugs and love,
Mama Kate


*note* i do have really amazing friends i have met in the physical life (like ellen, jessie, kyle, george...) But it is a very small group. And the group that i have met in virtual life is far larger.

4 comments:

  1. I hear you 100% MK. It's hard to explain just how amazing my Online Friends are. I really do wish we could all just take over an apartment building and have movie nights and dance parties together.
    The internet is a far more amazing thing than anyone in the "normal realm" could imagine. I can't even begin to think of what my life would be like without it. probably really really sad.
    I miss you. I hope to see you soon. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember once when I was 16, I went to Mexico to build houses during Spring Break, and when I went back home, that was the first time I ever had that feeling that my friendships at home were shallow and seriously lacking in 'something'. So I totally understand that feeling. I have so much to say in response to this and to Adam's video and Beth and Helen's blogs too... I think I'll have to make a video myself. Going to VidCon has made me want to make more videos because ever since I got home I feel like I need to reach out more. I guess that's sorta the same thing Bobby said too. I'm so glad we all went to VidCon together, I think that whole experience has changed us all in ways that will make us better people and friends. I really feel like I didn't get to spend enough time with you, the week went by too fast. We need time to be 'girly' together so we can do make-up and paint our nails. I'm so glad you are a part of my life. It does suck that we can't be together all the time. I really really really want to go visit you. I mean that, I don't know about time or money yet, but we'll see. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know exactly how you feel and what you are talking about. I wish we could meet up every week because you guys just make my life so much more interesting - more rich and vivid. But hell I don't even live in the same continent.
    I miss you so much. I don't want to leave James on Friday because obviously he is my fiance but also he feels like my link to the Classy Ladies right now. Once we are apart everything is going to hit me. Hell it hits me harder when he is just at work.
    I love you. Hugs xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary Kate. I read this blog earlier. I went out tonight with friends for dinner and then to play trivia. It's amazing how what you described was my exact experience-- my friendships with the people at school are so not the same. They're nice company, but we just don't get each other. I feel like I'm constantly on the outside with them, despite having similar career aspirations and such. Yet, with you guys, we don't even have the same career goals, life plans, etc. Yet, I feel like I could come to you guys with anything and you'd understand or try to understand and vice versa. It's just not the same.
    I hope we get to hang out soon. I know even our geographical convenience isn't always THAT convenient, but I want to make an effort to see you more and make more memories together. <3 you.

    ReplyDelete