Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Look at Life Through a Cracked Lens


(DISCLAIMER:: I am not rereading this. I dont have time to. So grammar and spelling is not an issue to me. I would put more time into this if i could. but i dont. Must pack now haha. BEDA #4 complete. i know im behind... but meh... i started late.)

So, I think it is about time I talk about why I am so in love with this movie, Labyrinth. I get asked this question time and time again. Therefore, I have decided to try to expound upon why this movie means so much to me.

Childhood:
My childhood was filled with pretend and make believe. I used to spend hours in my playroom pretending. I do remember this. I don't remember everything, but I know what it was like... it was like fan fiction without writing it on paper. Anyway, I remember very clearly watching Labyrinth as a child. I loved the creatures and the heroine. I distinctly also remember thinking the goblin king was very handsome. Which thinking back, The goblin king I believe was the first man i thought of "handsome". (which i find very fitting :D) The movie did frighten me as a child in some points. Like when the firey gang took off their heads. I thought that was so scary. There were other scary parts, but over all it was a fun movie. I also remember when my very own baby brother, Zachary was born. He used to cry all the time, and well... just as Sarah wished... I wished as well. I know people probably think that I am lying when I say that I did this, but the whole scene where Sarah lifts her baby brother to the sky and shouts "Goblin King, Goblin King! Take this brother of mine far far away from me!" I did this as a little girl. The disappointment of no Goblin King at my window was quite disappointing.

Puppeteering:
As many of you know, I used to be advidly involved in puppeteering. I used to make puppets and name them. It was so much fun and i quite miss it. but one thing about puppeteering i loved was watching Jim Henson movies. The puppets used in them are simply beautiful. Granted, many of you who know your Henson are probably wondering, "Well if you like beautiful puppets, shouldn't Dark Crystal be your favorite?" Dark Crystal has truly magnificent puppets. The art and time that went into that movie has to be appreciated. Although, In Labyrinth, the types of puppets created for the movie fit my style more. The puppets of the Labyrinth have so much characater. not saying that the ones in Dark Crystal don't. I am saying the types of personalities made for the Labyrinth are just fun. Any puppet made for that movie had to have been just a joy to make.

Jareth, The Goblin King:
Now, there was no way I was going to get through this post without at least mentioning The Goblin King. I, like any Labyrinth fan, are quite drawn to the Goblin King. I think the character holds so much potential. Just his back story is facinating. Not to mention that Goblin Kind is FIIINNEE. haha. I think that Jareth is quite missunderstood within Labyrinth. The Goblin King is a truly facinating character. One thing i really love to do is read people's interpretations on Jareth's character and his motives. It is all very interesting how so many poeple can come up with so many different ideas about him

Now, Sarah:
In your most beloved story, you love it because you can connect to it. It strikes a chord within you. Well, as much as I hate to admit it, Sarah... is who i connected with. That whiney little brat. Although she does mature through the course of the movie so she isnt as bad. Anyway, I seriously just find myself connecting with sarah. Sarah is a girl who dresses up and for a moment pretends to be someone she isnt. We see this at the very beginning of the movie. She wants to fade that line of reality. I know, im 20 years old and saying i like to blurr the line of reality. Well i do.

Life is fascinating and so interesting especially if you look at it through a cracked lens.

So there is a little breakdown of why i love Labyrinth. And why it means so much to me.

The Waning Hours of my life:
14 Days until CATIA project is due
20 Days until Finals
11 MWF classes
6 TTH classes
1 day until AIAA Conference

2 comments:

  1. We will have to do a Labyrinth review so we can compare notes :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well said love! Miss your face!

    ReplyDelete